A DH@UO Retrospective

Posted in DH Blog

By: Hayley Brazier

Today’s blog is the last of the academic year and my last post as the DH@UO program coordinator. For the past two years, I have assisted Professor Heidi Kaufman and the larger DH@UO initiative to increase access to digital humanities training at the University of Oregon and to raise awareness about the professors, librarians, and students already developing digital scholarship and pedagogy.

Picture of Hayley wearing a white shirt standing in front of a historic European building
Hayley Brazier, PhD Candidate in the Department of History and the DH@UO Program Coordinator

On a weekly basis, my primary tasks have consisted of researching and co-writing blog posts. We have also revamped the DH@UO website and redesigned the site’s DH scholars page. And each quarter, we have hosted workshops, conferences, or academic presentations to connect the UO community to the latest DH tools and scholarship. The blog posts have been particularly informative for me to understand the breadth of jobs open to digital humanists, from professorships in the digital humanities and data librarianships to educational technologists.  I now know that I can pursue many types of jobs in the digital humanities–careers that I didn’t know were open to me before I began this position.

Our weekly blogs have also opened my eyes—and those of our readers—to the diverse array of digital humanities projects that universities and public humanities institutions are building across the globe. These DH projects are helping to create a deeper, restorative connection between academia and the broader public. I am now convinced that one of the best uses of the digital humanities (although by no means the only) are those outward-facing projects that invite the public to participate and learn from the important work of humanities scholars.

Digital Humanities Summer Institute logo (Photo source: http://www.dhsi.org/)

Because of this position, and the kind encouragement of Heidi Kaufman, I am also embarking on my own digital humanities project. Using Adobe Illustrator, I am designing graphic illustrations to help visualize themes in my dissertation’s chapters, which focus on the historical development of undersea technologies. I recently presented on this project while attending an academy at UC Berkeley hosted by Forum Transregionale Studien and the Max Weber Foundation.

In the years to come, I’ll keep sharpening my digital humanities knowledge. Next week, for example, I am attending the Digital Humanities Summer Institute (DHSI) to learn Text Encoding Fundamentals and their Applications. Workshops and conferences like DHSI are increasing in availability every year.

Before I conclude this post, I would like to thank Heidi Kaufman, who over the past two years has become a mentor to me. Although my GE position with DH@UO is coming to a close, Professor Kaufman will continue her work as a tireless advocate for the DH@UO initiative and the new DH Minor, as she has done for years. I would also like to thank Franny Gaede and the Digital Scholarship Center staff in the UO Libraries, who have been gracious and insightful collaborators.

Be First to Comment